Help in the Vinyard (@ LDS.org)

The Vineyard Logo

Link to Truth

Sunday, January 13, 2008

All on different levels

Knowing we are all on different levels of spirituality according to our circumstances and opportunities for a greater knowledge of love, learning's, and service to God I sometimes post spiritual things and then remove them fearing to offend some people.

When that happens I usually have the thought in my mind the simple title of a talk I once read, but don't remember all in full "Trying to serve God without offending the Devil"... I sometimes over-worry about this one statement then come to realize it's not about overly-worrying, but doing those things that you feel are correct, and trusting in God to make up the difference. That said what happens when you think you know more about the kingdom of God then the general world? ... I guess you see that as a measure of pride and a need to remove that feeling, or rather correct it. ... repent of it is what it is... that word always brings to mind a scripture from a modern revelation from God in the Doctrine and Covenants as follows "By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them (sins) and forsake (correct/change) them" ... I love that scripture because it is in so full harmony with Christ's teachings!

OK this is moving my mind along to the woman taken in adultery as we read about in John. I love this whole scene of Jesus stating "he who is without sin let him first cast the stone" which disbands the accusing and jealous Pharisees to then which Jesus states "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?" says the woman ... you all know it!
"no man Lord"
"neither do I condemn thee go thy way and sin no more" ... he doesn't say to the woman "thy sins are forgiven you" only 'go now, attempt to correct your wrong pattern in life, forsake your sin(s), and then all can be made OK! (through me)'

Was it unfortunate that the woman was caught in adultery and taken to be judged? I think not but in fact it was a major blessing to the woman! ... I don't think we ever hear what happened to that woman, I hope she made the corrections (forsake) and went about her life doing better...

I was reading in the book "the miracle of forgiveness" last night second chapter opening which reads

“…At the destination (for eternal life) our Father waits hopefully, anxious to greet His returning children. Unfortunately many will not arrive.
The reason is forthrightly stated by the prophet Nephi --- “… There cannot any unclean thing enter into the Kingdom of God…”(1 Nephi 15:34.) And again, “…no unclean thing can dwell with God…” (1 Nephi 10:21.)"

And I had a thought on this, a pretty deep one too... concerning a lot of scripture and what is means for God to be God and how it is that He keeps being God by continuing to do the correct thing according to eternal and Divine laws. How God is an unchangeable God and if He changes He actually ceases to be God, and it that happens then all of His work is void and comes undone.. including you and I (as I understand it) .. that's heavy!

on top of that thought I recalled the scripture that Jesus tells His disciples and the world in His sermon
(New Testament Matthew 7:21 - 23)
¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

ouch! ..... so there is something deeper then just attempting to prophecy in His name and in His name casting out devils and such to entering into Our Father's Kingdom! .. ... it's in doing the will of the Father .... so what does that mean? .. ... looks like I have some more studying to do... .. no it's answered in another scripture! ..

(Book of Mormon Alma 7:23 - 25)
23 And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.
24 And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works.
25 And may the Lord bless you, and keep your garments spotless, that ye may at last be brought to sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and the holy prophets who have been ever since the world began, having your garments spotless even as their garments are spotless, in the kingdom of heaven to go no more out.


(Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 25:23)
23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

OK now can I tie all this together again somewhere and somehow? .. .. (deep breath) Back to the line from "the miracle of forgiveness" and getting back to our anxiously waiting Father for many, if not all, to return to Him.

The disciples of old asked Jesus ... oh let's not paraphrase it..

(New Testament John 14:5 - 7)
5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, ... how can we know the way?
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus IS the way, the only way and God said to Moses

(Moses 6:52)
If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be baptized, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth, which is Jesus Christ, the only name which shall be given under heaven, whereby salvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you.

Jesus is the way back, He has already prepared THE only way back to the Father, but it is upon our individual acceptance of Him and His ways which are listed above in that scripture.

It's not impossible I feel as those attributes seem to be characteristics that Christ displayed during His whole mortal existence... and this is why I feel it's not impossible. - We read again from Nephi "...for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." so this would mean the commandment given us BY Christ Himself
"(3 Nephi 12:48)
Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect."

So it is possible because it is a command and the Lord gives no commands save He prepares a way they be accomplished...

OK I am just putting everything here together, and I haven't even gotten to make the point that started this whole thing! Back (again) to our Father waiting for His children to show up in His kingdom and many not making it because of their own choices to NOT come and partake of his gift even His Son Jesus' and The atonement ...

how would that be for our Father to be waiting for a son or daughter (you or me or a friend) only to have Christ show up saying something to the effect "Sorry Father, they chose not salvation and I had to turn them away to what they wanted by their choices" .... that is a sad outlook and a sad moment but not as much for God who already HAS the fullness of joy that makes Him God... The shedding of tears, as I perceive would come, would be tears for US in not choosing Him as our God ... .. maybe that is in part what is explained by Moses' words concerning what Enoch saw

(Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:28 - 37)
28 And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it, saying: How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains?
29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?
...
32 The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;
33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood;
...
37 ... Satan shall be their father, and misery shall be their doom; and the whole heavens shall weep over them, even all the workmanship of mine hands; wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer?

That is pretty powerful that God's only suffering seems to be in His children, US, and in our not choosing Him to be our God.

It is possible for us all to find Him, learn His ways, and be reconciled to Him through Christ's Atonement .... now that I've written an entire book on my thoughts and feeling using the words and scriptures that I know ARE true. I invite everyone that happens to stumble upon my words to learn more if you're interested www.lds.org or www.mormon.org .. and if you won't look into it, or if you're not interested at this time. AT least do what your conscious prompts you to do and be kind to all those about you ... because after all we are all children of God, He loves each the same as the next for does He not have the sun rise on both the just and the unjust? Let's at least do our best to love one another and understand one another so we may all be classified as peace-makers and have claim on further teachings from God when He comes again.

May God be with us all no matter how we personally have come to understand who and what God IS, and I say that in the name of My God, even Jesus Christ, Amen

1 comment:

Richard said...

Wow i'm s scatter brain sometimes... must have something like brain lesions ;)