Help in the Vinyard (@ LDS.org)

The Vineyard Logo

Link to Truth

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Songs and thoughts that guide thinking

So today I was at school, and was looking around and thinking. My thoughts moved to a young lady sitting on the table ahead of me, and I found my thoughts drifting in a way that I didn't like. I caught myself and thought "Where did THAT come from?" ... read a little down in my blog, and you'll see what my thoughts HAVE been doing of late. Which has been nice.... anyway I stopped and examined my brain and what was going on in it. It turned out I had in the background of my thoughts a REAL old pop song running through my mind. I thought "This song isn't all that bad; was it the cause of my last thought?" to which I had another thought enter something like this. "No that song isn't all that bad, but the Spirit doesn't like it so He's left and you're left to yourself." Next I thought, "Well I didn't like that last thought so how do I get the Spirit back?" to which I receive "Sing a hymn! That will work.". Simple enough I thought up a good hymn "Rise up O man of God" and started repeating that in my mind:

"Rise up of man of God, have done with lesser things, Give heart and soul and mind and strength to serve the King of kings.
Rise up O man of God, in one united throng, bring in the day of botherhood, and end the night of wrong.
Rise up O man of God, tread where His feet have trod, as brothers of the Son of Man, rise up O man of God"

So while I'm repeating this song over and over in my head it leads to new hymns to sing, and I take a look again around the cafeteria and at the young lady in front of me. The thoughts are much more clean and happy and simple and peaceful. I kept looking around the cafeteria, and it seemed that my better thoughts from days before were again returning to me!

So as I think further on that moment my mind drifts back tonight to something I read a while ago about the power of music. In that music is almost the only thing that can effect for good or evil the entire brain at the SAME TIME. The rythm and beat apeal to the right hemisphere of the brain, and the melody and tune to the left. One of the most powerful and simple ways to change your mood is to change your music. Then eventually this also will change your thoughts and actions to match the music that you listen to!

Had a poor day? What have you been listening to, and/or thinking about?

1 comment:

Julie Nance said...

Wow, great job examining your mind and recognizing when and why the Spirit had to leave, and doing what you needed to do to get it back. You're on a great path there. :)