Help in the Vinyard (@ LDS.org)

The Vineyard Logo

Link to Truth

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Enlarge to show Detail

I was looking at cereal boxes, as I was breaking them down to put in the recycle bin, and noted the pictures on the front that were digitally altered with the wording "Enlarged to show detail" written close to the obviously enlarged picture of cereal. I thought about this and wondered: "Why don't fashion magazines have that same type of captioning for the models they present as real in their magazines?"

Here is one that is perfect for my example:



Caption? "Digitally altered so her waist looks inhumanly small to give REAL girls and women complexes about themselves."

I know this example is extreme and obvious, but I also know that before a picture is placed into a magazine it has been altered more then once (if not 10s of times till the person looks close enough, but not actually realistic)








Example! - live on TV, and then later in a magazine reprint for the story. I give you:


Katie Couric

Caption Reads! "Looks about the same, but modified just enough to make you believe that to be normal, you need to look not actually real."

What are we telling women, and more importantly, little girls growing up? No, I had it correct the first time, more importantly women who are raising the little girls growing up, and setting THE examples for them?!

Makes you wonder what is even real anymore...

No comments: